[Pgi-wg] [gin] Reminder & Agenda: PGI Telcon Today 2010-03-11; 3:30 pm CET

Mark Morgan mmm2a at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 11 08:11:07 CST 2010

Also, it isn't a matter of whether or not the "should" be opaque.
They are.  The spec. says they are and that is then end of the story.
The only fields which are allowed to be "interpreted" by the client or
anyone but the "menting" service are the Address field (which is a
URI), and the Metadata section.  The first of these is used to target
future web service requests, the latter is optional "hints" that
clients may choose to use or ignore.  Further, you can write a spec.
profiling what the meaning of various fields in the EPR are, but you
are not allowed to constrain what service mentors choose to put into
the other fields.  For those of you who program in C or C++, telling
someone how they are allowed to create their EPRs is like telling them
that only prime numbers are allowed as pointers -- it doesn't make any
sense.

-Mark