[Pgi-wg] PGI additional co-chair election process

Riedel, Morris m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Wed Jun 23 08:12:47 CDT 2010

Dear PGI members,

  as Balazs recently stepped down as a co-chair we have now two positions vacant for these roles to support me in chairing the activities of the group. Although I'm still keen in supporting this group as co-chair, some new roles within JUELICH (e.g. becoming deputy division head) will have potentially an impact in the time I can invest in this group and thus we need urgently a backup for me - the sooner the better.

The election of the new co-chairs is an open process and the group decides, but keep in mind that we have a tough time schedule and these positions should be filled as soon as possible to maintain progress.

Hence, to support a faster election process, I already discussed group setups with members of OGF and PGI folks, I would therefore like to take the opportunity to recommend the group setup as follows:

(1)
I recommend that Johannes Watzl (LMU, Munich, Germany) would be one of the additional co-chairs.

Johannes is active in GIN since years and participated in PGI since it's beginning as being an effective secretary. Furthermore, his technology-neutral position makes him even more a suitable candidate for chairing sessions/workshops with delicate decisions among the technology providers that contribute to PGI.

I already discussed this with Johannes and he is willing to take this role once selected by the group.

(2)
The selection of Johannes would leave the secretary position as vacant.

Given the past and current efforts of Etienne Urbah (LAL, Paris, France) via posters/e-mails/wiki-pages/etc., I would recommend that he should be elected for the secretary role.

I already discussed with Etienne his contributions and he is keen to support the group as well in a more formal position.

(3)
One further additional co-chair position is still open.

I'm in discussion with GIN/PGI members from outside of Europe to promote PGI as an international activity!

Until these discussions will come to a fruitful state with folks that are willing to give the time required, I'm still open to receive recommendations from the community.

Finally, please send me any serious objections (privately) to the proposed setup.

If I do not receive significant objections until the end of next week (2010-07-02), I see this setup as being agreed by the group.

Afterwards, I will be once again in contact with our area director Andrew Grimshaw to officially confirm the above recommended setup.

Your co-chair,
Morris
Morris Riedel
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division

Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt