[Pgi-wg] Gridiron, or standardization gone backwards

David Wallom david.wallom at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 04:52:04 CDT 2010

Hello Oxana,

Though I agree in the most parts with your analogy this does seem to be in
one way or another the technologists again not getting what the user
community want. Take for example Structural Biologists, they are
collaborating across continental Europe, UK and US by at the moment having
themselves to devise the translators/metalayers necessary to bridge across
different infrastructures.

We need to move beyond the 'my technical solution is better than yours' and
realise that if we are not careful the user communities will just see that
we are infighting and go their own way (or tell our funders that we are
inefficient and not worth continuing). We must move towards standards and
'give' a little on all sides.

The research community in the UK sees US collaboration as increasingly
important with small amounts of EU collaboration because of funding. If we
are not careful they will go their own way totally and we will not get them
back. To go back to your analogy, If the user community wants to play
gridiron you can shout until you are blue in the face about soccer but they
will ignore you, it isn't suitable for them.

David

Dr David Wallom
Technical Manager
Oxford e-Research Centre