[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI Software Engineering Use Case Template

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Fri Jul 16 08:30:02 CDT 2010

Johannes, Morris and all,

Short summary
-------------
I fully maintain my position on following technical issue :

The OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template' is trash.  Forget it.

I propose a 'PGI Software Engineering Use Case Template' (based on
Wikipedia work) at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16024?nav=1

Do you like to waste your time kidding, or are you ready to invest your
work into professional Software Engineering ?

Detailed argumentation
----------------------
I fully maintain the argumentation provided in my mail below dated 12
July 2010.  In addition :

I always spend efforts and time to understand the work of other persons,
and I usually spend efforts and time to provide constructive comments
and proposals in order to improve it, so that we all together win.

In particular, I assess that the GROMACS Use Case, though incomplete,
contains enough useful information to be improved, and could be used as
a basis for the creation of an acceptable template.

But the OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template' puts focus on concepts which
must hidden following the OO principle of encapsulation, and forgets the
main concepts of 'Use Cases' :  System, Actors, Interactions.

Therefore, I most strongly assess that this OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case
Template' is very bad, unsuitable, inappropriate, and blocking our work.

Using such bad foundation, any structure that we would build would
crash, we would fall inside the mud and be drowned.
As an example, see my comments inside 'gLite Use Case : Parallel Jobs'
at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16027?nav=1

The OGF PGI telephone conference using GoToMeeting on Thursday 15 July
2010 had bad audio quality.  In fact, there was NO agreement to use the
OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template'.

Finally :

-  Writing down this OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template' was a simple
technical error.

-  Continuing to pretend, after having read my mail dated 12 July 2010,
that this OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template' is suitable for Use Case
capture, is a professional error.

-  Requiring that OGF PGI-WG must continue to use this bad OGSA-based
'PGI Use Case Template', just because someone began to use it, is
obscurantism.

I suggest that each member of PGI-WG studies this critical issue, seeks
advise of professionals working daily on Use Case capture, makes his/her
own mind, and presents his/her position.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr