[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI Software Engineering Use Case Template

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Mon Jul 12 10:49:12 CDT 2010

Johannes, Morris and all,

Short summary
-------------
The OGSA-based 'PGI Use Case Template' is trash.  Forget it.

I propose a 'PGI Software Engineering Use Case Template' (based on
Wikipedia work) at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16024?nav=1

Are you ready to invest your work into professional Software Engineering ?

Detailed argumentation
----------------------
As promised, I have studied the 'PGI Use Case Template' based on the
OGSA template.

Regrettably, this OGSA-based template :

-  puts the focus on 'Customers', which are very specific roles, and and
more useful in 'for-profit business' than in 'scientific data processing',

-  puts the focus on 'Scenarios', which is a plural, whereas best
practice is to describe in detail only the primary scenario,

-  puts the focus on 'Applications', whereas for Service Grids, an
Application is just one of the several files given as input to an Activity,

-  puts the focus on 'Involved resources', which are internal to the
system, and MUST STAY HIDDEN following the very basic OO principle of
ENCAPSULATION,

-  forgets to request the definition of the SYSTEM and the description
of its BOUNDARIES, whereas such definition and description is a core
issue for Distributed Data Processing,

-  forgets to request the definition of preconditions (apart security,
which is mentioned only after the scenario(s) which uses the security
context).

So, this template is perhaps suited for dissemination and for submission
of 'papers', but NOT AT ALL for professional Software Engineering.

This is perhaps one of the causes of the very moderate success of OGSA.

Therefore, writing comments inside this OGSA-based template in the hope
of improving it would be a complete waste of time.

Instead, I have used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_case as basis to
write my own proposal, which I call 'PGI Software Engineering Use Case
Template', and is available at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16024?nav=1

The goal of this template is professional Software Engineering,
permitting technical understanding, technical criticism and technical
improvement.
Therefore, the focus is NOT AT ALL on the scientific applications, but
on the precise definition of :
- The boundaries of the system for which the 'Use Case' captures one
behavior,
- The list of actors, stakeholders, participants, roles,
- The detailed description of the primary scenario of interactions
between the actors and the system.

The Use Cases which I already published as simple text already contain
most of the information required by this professional Software
Engineering template.  I will easily reformat them accordingly.

This 'PGI Software Engineering Use Case template' is to be improved.  Do
not hesitate to provide comments and suggestions.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr