[Pgi-wg] PGI State Model for discussions : PPT from Morris and PDF from Aleksandr

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Fri May 22 12:36:03 CDT 2009

Morris, Aleksandr and All,

Concerning the OGF PGI State Model :

Many thanks to Morris and Aleksandr for your proposals.

We NOW have a sound technical basis permitting relevant discussion
permitting to achieve agreement.

Visibly, PGI requirements are much more complicated than anything
reasonably achievable with the State Models presented inside BES
(GFD.108) and HPC File Staging Profile (GFD.135), even with substates.

Personally, even if that would break the current BES recommendation, I
would prefer that all states (including D and H) are full states, in
order that all transitions have precise names.

Using the State Model of Aleksandr (which I like very much), we should
be able to describe that 'Automatic Staging' and 'Manual Staging' can
occur simultaneously.

Example for simultaneous Stage-in :

-  As soon as the 'Execution Service' knows the Stage-in location (when
the job is 'Pending' or 'Pre-Processing'), the 'Execution Service' sends
the URL of the Stage-in location to the job submitter.

-  Automatic and Manual Stage-in can occur simultaneously inside
'Pre-processing'.

-  If Automatic finishes first, the job goes to 'Pre-processing:D:H',
and when Manual finishes, the job can go to 'Delegated',

-  If Manual    finishes first, the job stays inside 'Pre-processing',
and when Automatic finishes, the job can go to 'Delegated'.

So, I confirm that the State Model of Morris is a subset of the State
Model of Aleksandr, with following tentative correspondence :

Morris                           Aleksandr