[Pgi-wg] PGI Execution Service - Realization viaexisting specifications

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Wed May 20 04:12:14 CDT 2009

Hi,

>- The "composability" and "profilability" of these specs are not trivial at
all.

I agree here that this too much modular approach - the "composability" -
actually breaks significantly the interoperability, but if we profile (in
PGI) what is mandatory of which specification, so this point could be
solved.

Nevertheless you are right: we having huge dependencies to a lot of
specifications, while we have already problems with BES/GES, we even not
entered the space of JSDL with much more specs and options...

.. also the list from Andrew lists new specs where the most production
middlewares have not much experience with (RNS, WS-Naming, etc.) - My
initial thought about PGI was to take what was existing (also BES) and only
profile/add minor elements. Although I see the requirement that those
standards could handle, my question would be of how realistic an
implementation would be if we go for a complete new setup...

>-The other alternative is to go for a clean spec.

Maybe faster, but would have a lot of redundancies to other specs where we
might just 'borrow' what they have already.

I guess it's worth having another look on the PGI Wiki related to the
different pro/cons (once gridforge is up again)...

Hear you later,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel
Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

"We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity"

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender)

BES/JSDL