[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Dependency diagram of existing specifications

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Tue May 19 13:08:04 CDT 2009

Etienne et al,

First, I will re-do the "realization" document based on comments and my own
forgetfulness.

With respect to Etienne's email, a few comments.

You wrote
> I am quite sure that WS-Addressing and WS-Naming are NOT requirements,
> and I do NOT know at all how useful these specifications are for us.

I agree about WS-Naming. But if we are going to use web services - then
WS-Addressing is a must. WS-Addressing EPRs are how you "point" to web
service endpoints.

> As I already wrote in my mail dated 13 May 2009, I understand RNS as
> 'syntactic sugar' very useful for the end user, but belonging to a
> higher level (presentation) layer, and NOT required for PGI.

RNS is not presentation layer. It is naming layer that is human readable.
RNS is simply the top layer in a classic three layer distributed systems
naming scheme. We can argue about whether it is something we should use ...
but we will end up using something like it no matter what, humans and XML
were not meant for each other.