[Pgi-wg] PGI Execution Service teleconference today Wednesday 06 May 2009 at 16h CEST

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Wed May 6 06:34:49 CDT 2009

All,
I propose that we not call it PGI Execution Service - that implies that we
are defining a specification, whereas I believe we can do this with a
profile and requests to change one or perhaps two other specifications
(BES).

> So, I advise that we agree on the largest possible list of states and
> transitions, with the semantics of their transitions.
> -  That will define PGI-compliance.
> -  Any further refinement of states will be accepted ONLY for logging
> purposes, but any further transition will be completely optional and NOT
> supported by PGI.

Agreed - we profile state extensions.
> A software service can easily publish the list of its states and the
> authorized transitions between states.  A software client can easily
> read them.

We won't need to do this if we profile the ones we want explicitly supported
and the service makes a conformance (to the profile) claim.

Also with respect to (w.r.t.) the logging bit. What a service does
internally with sub-states is its business. If it wants to use knowledge of
them somehow that seems fine to me.