[Pgi-wg] PGI Execution Service teleconference today Wednesday 06 May 2009 at 16h CEST

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Wed May 6 06:00:44 CDT 2009

Moreno and All,

Concerning the next PGI Execution Service teleconference held today,
Wednesday 06 May 2009 at 16h CEST :

New title of the GES document
-----------------------------
I propose 'PGI Execution Service'.

States and Transitions Model
----------------------------
A software service can easily publish the list of its states and the
authorized transitions between states.  A software client can easily
read them.

But beyond the syntax, the transitions contain SEMANTICS :
-  Human software engineers can describe (with some work and review)
these semantics for understanding by human software engineers,
-  But I am afraid that it is very difficult to describe these semantics
for understanding by a computer software.  Therefore, I am afraid that a
software client can NOT guess how to adequately USE the listed
authorized transitions.

So, I advise that we agree on the largest possible list of states and
transitions, with the semantics of their transitions.
-  That will define PGI-compliance.
-  Any further refinement of states will be accepted ONLY for logging
purposes, but any further transition will be completely optional and NOT
supported by PGI.

Please study this issue, make your own mind, and express your position.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr