[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Security Model

weizhong qiang weizhongqiang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 06:48:47 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Steven Newhouse <Steven.Newhouse at cern.ch>wrote:

> > Having to build
> > adapters to translate (if possible) credentials in different formats
> is
> > a compromise which is more reasonable than having to wait for all the
> > middlewares of the world to move towards a common security
> > infrastructure.
>
> In the short term... documenting and defining the 2 or 3 security models
> is real progress. If a service only supports one of these I do not see
> this as a problem - for all the reasons given.

I do agree with this point here. But I would propose a question: What is the
purposed of PGI?
Does it only conclude all of the popular middlewares and propose a few
conclusive profiles?
Or does it give some proposal which is as general as possible, and needs
those middlewares to change as minimal as possible?

If the former one is the case, I agree with the "bridging" idea. And it is
also what ARC has done and is doing: Trying to implementing some specific
clients which can interoperate with those services hosted by different kinds
of middlewares that require different security mechanisms.
For instance, for interoperability with CREAM service, the client developed
in ARC need firstly to contact the CREAM delegation service and delegate a
proxy credential to that service, and secondly send real BES message to
CREAM service together with the delegation ID which is got from the first
step. The CREAM service itself will implicitly get the proxy credential by
using the delegation ID, and then act on behalf of the client.

Weizhong Qiang