[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Security Strawman

Aleksandr Konstantinov aleksandr.konstantinov at fys.uio.no
Fri Mar 27 05:02:28 CDT 2009

On Monday 23 March 2009 19:57, Etienne URBAH wrote:
> To All,
>
> I thank Duane MERRIL for his 'Profile on Secure Communication' strawman.
>
> But, since today's mail of Vincenzo CIASCHINI asserting interoperability
> between recent versions of OpenSSL and GSI, I do NOT think that
> communication layers are the main isue blocking interoperability.
>
> I propose that instead focusing on communication services, we focus on
> security data defined, on security data transported, and on the
> interpretation of security data by AUTHN/AUTHZ services.
>

> So, I propose to criticize following assertions :
>

> 1) Grid Users and Certificate Authorities
> 1.1)  Each grid User is authenticated by a legal body (recognized by a
> government).
>
> 1.2)  This legal body uses a Certificate Authority to grant a (long
> lived) X509 certificate to the grid User.
>
> 1.3)  Each Certificate Authority is itself or is authenticated by a
> self-signed Root Certificate Authority.
>
> 1.4)  All such Root Certificate Authorities trust each other and
> cooperate within APGridPMA, EUGridPMA or TAGPMA (Policy Management
> Authorities).
>
> 1.5)  These 3 Policy Management Authorities trust each other and
> cooperate within IGTF.
>
> 1.6)  IGTF distributes the list of CA Certificates to be trusted.
>
> 1.7)  Each grid Site providing grid Services to grid Users MUST install
> this list of CA Certificates and keep it up to date.
>
> 1.8)  Using its X509 certificate, each grid User can create at any time
> a (short lived) X509 proxy with permits impersonation / delegation
> during a short period.
>

> 2)  Virtual Organizations
> -------------------------
> 2.1)  A Virtual Organization (VO) groups grid Users with common goals.
> A VO is NOT a legal body, can NOT be a Certificate Authority, and can
> NOT issue X509 certificates.
>
> 2.2)  Inside DEISA, a Virtual Community also groups grid Users with
> common goals.  The relationships between Virtual Communities and Virtual
> Organizations has to be precised by Morris RIEDEL.
>
> 2.3)  Each grid User belongs to 1 ore more VO (Virtual Organization),
> which grants him access rights to grid Storage and Computing Ressources.

I would bery much like to criticize this statement as there will always be some
small user groups or individual users who wouldn't want take care of burden
of setting up a VO.

> 2.4)  Access rights are granted by VOs to grid Users through either :
>        2.4.1)  VOMS extensions of X509 proxies (this makes a VOMS proxy)
>        2.4.2)  SAML assertions
>

> 3)  Grid Services :  Information, AUTHN, AUTHZ
> 3.1)  Each grid Infrastucture provides an Information Service, with
> describes the Infrastructure according the the GLUE2 schema.
>
> 3.2)  Each grid User can query this Information Service anonymously in
> order to know which security protocol he has to use to submit requests
> to grid Services.

I disagree with "anonymously". Some infrastructures may rate that information
as confidential.

> 3.3)  Each grid User can directly access data hosted by grid Storage
> Services.  For Authentication, the grid User can present the public part
> of his X509 certificate or X509 proxy.  For Authorization, the grid User
> can present :
>        3.3.1)  the public part of his VOMS proxy, or
>        3.3.2)  a bag of SAML assertions.

I see no reason why only these 2 options should be allowed for authorization decisions.
I do support idea of attribute based authorization. But can't understand why other
information authenticating the client should be disallowed from making authorization
decision.

> 3.4)  Each grid User can submit Jobs to grid Computing Services.  If
> such a Job needs access to data hosted by grid Storage Services, then
> the grid User must provide a delegation token.  This delegation token
> can be :
>        3.4.1)  a full VOMS proxy, or
>        3.4.2)  a bag of SAML assertions.

What is "full ... proxy" ? And why only VOMS? Why can't my users use ordinary proxies?
Or restricted proxies with for example policies embedded (as defined in RFC3820)?

> 4)  Consequences for Interoperability
> -------------------------------------
> 4.1)  X509 proxies MUST fully comply to RFC 3820.
>
> 4.2)  VOMS services, which deliver X509 proxies with VOMS extensions,
> MUST fully comply to RFC 3820.
>
> 4.3)  The authentication library used by grid Services MUST fully comply
> to RFC 3820 (for example a recent version of OpenSLL), so that it can
> accept as well X509 certificates as X509 proxies.
>
> 4.4)  Each grid Site providing grid Services to grid Users MUST install
> files describing VOMS authorizations and other authorizations, and keep
> them up to date.

What are "files describing ... authorizations"?