[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on attribute transport mechanismsforAttrAuthZ

weizhong qiang weizhongqiang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 07:10:54 CDT 2009

hi,

PGI_TLS and PGI_GSI were mentioned by you in a few thread.
Again, I would like clarify something from my point of view.
Do you mean PGI_GSI the services/clients that talk to each other by using
GSSAPI?
or just talk to each other based on TLS while using proxy certificate. I
think there is difference between them.
So I would divide them into branch by using your notation:
PGI_TLS
PGI_TLS_PROXY (the notation is also in the virginia strawman)
PGI_GSI

2009/3/20 Morris Riedel <m.riedel at fz-juelich.de>

>  Hi,
>

> >- My personal thinking is, since we are talking about PGI or
> interoperability, we probably do need to change the current implementation
> if it can not satisfy interoperability, while keeping the principle that the
> change should be as little as possible.
>

> In terms of little changes I agree – but I consider PGI_TLS / PGI_GSI as
> massive changes.
>

> For instance, we have developed a UNICORE Gateway (for AuthN) that works
> with PGI_TLS naturally – and PGI_GSI more recently providing of course not
> FULL delegation support per hop, but proxies are supported on GSI-TLS level.
>

> However, can we expect that you one contact a CREAM-BES any time soon with
> full end-entity credentials or any other gLite component?

The CREAM service has been tested (by some of our colleagues) . And the
result shows CREAM service requires "limited" proxy certificate (proxy with
"CN=proxy") when it doing data transfer.

Inherently, because of forwarding mechanisms internally – proxies are
> necessary probably.
>

> But maybe that’s my old interop* knowledge – so let’s clarify again…
>

> Some statements that need clarification:
>

> Note: UNICORE can be contacted using PGI_TLS and PGI_GSI – the same is
> planned for GENESIS-II as far as I remember.

 "and PGI_GSI" means PGI_TLS_PROXY or PGI_GSI?
>From out experience about testing against UNICORE service, it uses
PGI_TLS_PROXY.

> Q: Do gLite also supports pure PGI_TLS apart from PGI_GSI?
>

> Q: Do ARC also supports pure PGI_TLS apart from PGI_GSI?

PGI_TLS
PGI_TLS_PROXY
possible to support PGI_GSI (the definition I mentioned)

> Q: Do we really imply that PGI-compliance means that both PGI_GSI and pure
> PGI_TLS have to be supported? Or we rather go the plumbing way of defining
> either or as MANDATORY and as MAY both supported (two plumbings).

I see PGI_TLS_PROXY should be mandatory.

Regards,

Weizhong