[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on WS-Naming (ref by strawman)

Aleksandr Konstantinov aleksandr.konstantinov at fys.uio.no
Fri Mar 20 03:09:42 CDT 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 02:42, m.riedel at fz-juelich.de wrote:
> Hi security folks,
>
>   in preparation of tomorrow I scanned the WS-Naming spec (GFD109) since there was an optional (MAY) dependency in the strawman doc of it.
>
> ### Goal:
>
> (a)
> We are discussing the WS-Naming specification...
>
> (b)
> ... because we want to survey what's is adoption status is in production setups is and what impacts might occur when implementing it...
>
> (c)
> ... in order to find out if the WS-Naming dependency makes sense for PGI in general and for our security setup in particular.
>

> ### Bottom line of spec contents
>
> # Defines an Endpoint Identifier Profile -> WS-A add-ons
> # WS Address Endpoint identifier Profile -> WS-A add-ons
> # Endpoint Resolvers Profiles -> portType
>

> ### Possible Conclusions:
>
> # (A) As discussed earlier, this is yet another profile that increases the size of an EPR significantly -> while one spec adoption might not be critical, adopting WS-Naming together with OGF Sec Addressing and VO lists in WS-MetaData elements of EPRs might be together a 'just too big' EPR to be realistic - apart from the functionality of the necessary resolvers in particular for WS-Naming. Bottom line: Too much for the EPR - rather covered by an appropriate information service

IMO the real question is what such EPRs may be used for. If they planned as replacements for URLs and *full* such EPR is going to be put into
every SOAP header then I would vote strongly against. But if such EPR is just a way to describe service (same as corresponding section in Glue
document) and are ony meant to be used in some kind of information system/port then why not.

> ### Questions:
>
> # (A) Which middleware platform is adopting it currently and has precise plans to adopt it in the near future. We can list for now GENESIS-II adopting it while I know that UNICORE does not and has no precise plans for it now - what about others like gLite, ARC, or NAREGI?

ARC adopted EPR in development trunk but not using it for anything more than enhanced URL. We currently have no plans to adopt it for any other purposes.