[Pgi-wg] Definition of a Production Grid

Laurence Field Laurence.Field at cern.ch
Tue Mar 17 10:35:55 CDT 2009

Hi David,

What I would be interested to find out is what are the similarities and
differences between an infrastructures like EGEE and a Campus Grid? I
tried to give a definition of what I saw as the key properties of the
EGEE infrastructure, what would you say are the key properties of a
Campus Grid? This is important as we might be talking about different
entities which address subtly different problems and hence difficult to
discuss in the same context.  I have a poster on my wall from Oracle
which says "The Oracle Grid Just Keeps Running". I am sure it is
production quality and could be classed as an infrastructure but it is
not what I have in mind what I used the word "Grid", from my perspective
it describes a clustered solution.

I am not an oracle (sorry for the pun) and if I could predict the future
accurately  would be richer or less poorer :) than I am now. The current
situation is that all the current users of EGEE and similar
infrastructures have X509 proxies from CAs accredited by the IGTF and
belong to VOs. I would be very surprised if this situation was different
in 18 months. Migrating OSG, EGEE and ARC to a different paradigm is not
something that can be done overnight and until an alternative solution
is presented and accepted, the time scale for doing such a migration can
not be even guessed.

The goal is not necessarily to define a list of properties to include
everything. We might end up with a different set of properties for
"multi-institutional infrastructures for e-Science" and "Campus Grids".
I would see this as being an advantage because we could then focus on
what was common rather getting confused by what was different.

Unfortunately I don't have answers just questions.

Laurence