[Pgi-wg] Input for PGI Roadmap Document about Virginia CampusGrid

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Tue Mar 17 04:54:07 CDT 2009

Hi Andrew, Duane,

  I know much about DEISA, EGEE, NorduGrid, and more recently also EDGES,
because they have contributed within GIN - but in terms of the
GENESIS-II-based production Campus Grid - I would rather like to have some
background information for the PGI roadmap document:

(1)
How many users are approximately using the infrastructure daily.

(2)
Which codes are running on which platforms, e.g. CFD codes on parallel
machines, or rather docking tools for 'embarassingly parallel' PC pool jobs?

(3)
Which kind of resources are interconnected - which kind of HPC/HTC resources
are part of the Virginia Campus Grid infrastructure?

(4)
What is the sustainability plan of the Campus Grid in general and GENESIS-II
in particular?

In Europe the HPC community see an evolution moving from DEISA to PRACE,
while EGEE seem to have an evolution towards an EGI. In both is limited
funding for middleware like UNICORE, gLite. The same is true for ARC that is
not only used in NorduGrid, but also in Baltic-Grid and so on.

I think this is also quite valuable information for the whole PGI group.

Is there a special link to the infrastructure/GENESIS-II Website that act as
the main contact point for it?

Many thanks for this!

Furthermore, I would welcome you in the GIN group in order to evaluate your
application requirements for those applications that require resources in
more than one Grid. Many production Grids participate in this group (some
more or less actively/passively) - so it would nice if you join the GIN
community!

Basically, PGI is a result of collaborations undertaken in GIN (and clear
demands by scientists that would like to use more than one Grid).

Your co-chair,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel
Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

"We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity"

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender)