[Pgi-wg] Next teleconference: tomorrow, wednesday july 15th

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 15 14:33:36 CDT 2009

Oxana,
I think you may have mis-interpreted what I meant. I think different
interfaces for different functions is important. I was referring to a single
interface for discovering resource properties|meta data|attributes. So that
one can gather resource properties (perhaps including what interfaces the
resource implements) in a uniform way - much like reflection interfaces in
Java.

Where and how the information to respond to resource property queries is
irrelevant to me ... is it generated on the fly, is it variables in memory,
is it stored in some database, I don't care. I just want to be able to ask
for it.

Similarly, if someone wants to build an "information service" that logically
keeps the resource properties of many resources and allows me to query that,
that is great too. How they get that information is not my concern.

What that "information service" interface is I do care about. It has been
debated quite a bit: many arguing against WS and XML representation as too
slow and complex, instead arguing for a straight RDBMS interface with
well-defined schema; others arguing for the full flexibility of extensible
XML schema's. While I think the information service interface is important,
I think it will be difficult to reach consensus as infrastructures tend to
have their own well developed techniques. I think therefore that we should
keep it out of scope for our discussions on the execution service.