[Pgi-wg] Job Management teleconference rescheduled on Friday 17 April

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Wed Apr 15 13:32:08 CDT 2009

Balazs,

Concerning Data Staging :

Readability of the 'Execution Service Strawman' document
In the MS-Word version of this document, the numbers and titles of the
chapters about Data Staging do NOT correctly appear in the text.

That is why I did NOT refer to them in my mail dated 11 April 2009.

Now I have found the numbers and titles in the 'Table of Contents', and
it is much clearer.

Do not hesitate to upload files with OpenDocument format (such as ODT,
ODP, ...).  I have installed OpenOffice on my computer, and everybody
can download it freely from download.openoffice.org

Data Staging scenarios covered by the 'Execution Service Strawman'
In the 'Execution Service Strawman', I am afraid that stage-in (and
writing by the job) is implicitly assumed to have as destination a local
disk of the Computing Resource on which the Job is already present.

So, the 'Execution Service Strawman' document covers only following
scenarios :
-  Just In Time Staging in the COMPUTING Resource by the Execution
Service (3.5.b and 3.5.c),
-  Just In Time Staging in the COMPUTING Resource by the Client (3.5.a
and 3.5.d),
-  Staging by the Job running on the Computing Resource (3.5.e).

Data Staging scenarios NOT covered by the 'Execution Service Strawman'
In fact, the destination of stage-in (and writing by the job) can also be :
-  a disk on a (possibly remote) grid Storage Resource (Stage-in from tape),
-  a disk on a close grid Storage Resource (Stage-in from tape or remote
Storage Resource, Writing by the job).

So, following scenarios are NOT covered by the 'Execution Service
Strawman' :
-  Pre and Post Staging by the Client  (EGEE standard scenario)
-  Pre and Post Staging in a STORAGE Resource by the Execution Service

I have added references to the 'Execution Service Strawman' document in
my renamed 'Data Staging - Concepts and Scenarios' document at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15607?nav=1

I hope that it is clearer now, and I am available for any further
information and improvement.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH          IN2P3 - LAL
Bat 200     91898 ORSAY     France