[Pgi-wg] Sec: Ways of specifying the security plumbings

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Wed Apr 8 01:30:53 CDT 2009

Hi PGI team,

  looking at the latest conversations I see a demand to discuss how we can
actually profile/specify the security plumbings basically agreed from the
group so far (maybe aligned with information plumbings describing the
security setup).

Unfortunately, there will be no telcon on Friday this week due to eastern
holidays, but next week as usual.

However, we should start a discussion how we can specify the three plumbings
for authN and two plumbings for authZ we agreed on so far.

Addressing the comment from Steven around specifying the GSI elements:

pro
# MWSG means we could specify it although its not a real standard
# A xyz PGI profile would support our production legacy systems

contra
# we have a PGI profile that includes already elements that are deprecated
(GSI et al.) - plan was to just remove these plumbings over time...
# it's harder to standardize instead of focusing on RFC elements

However, from the most recent work in PGI I got the strong feeling that we
have to stick to the three authN plumbings and two authZ plumbings - maybe
people still disagree here, but I got a response from Alex Sim (SRM
collaboration) mentioning that GSI is still all over the place and non-GSI
versions (i.e. 3.0) will maybe deployed in the next 3-4 years... so out of
scope of our work.

The question arises how we specify these plumbings exactly.

(1) Approach 1 (like WS-RF that consists of n specifications)
# PGI data/job/security (our first document from the charter)
## PGI - AuthN - GSI
## PGI - AuthN - RFCProxy
## PGI - AuthN - EE
## PGI - AuthZ - SAML
## PGI - AuthZ - AC
## PGI - Data - ...

Each of it would be a specification element part of the overall PGI
standard. Adopters refer to it as specifying a server being PGI-AUTHN -
RFCProxy Compliant, etc.

(2) Approach 2 (similar like Duane's approach)
We define everthing in one specification and combine our elements with
# MANDATORY to support at least one of...
# MANDATORY to support ...or / and
# etc.

Here adopters refer to Tags like PGI_COMM_XYZ within the PGI specification
to indicate whether a system supports proxies or not.

Any other approach I missed?

Take care,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/JSCPeople/riedel
Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

"We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity"

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender)