[orep-wg] WS-ReplicaCatalog specification

Robert Schuler schuler at isi.edu
Thu Aug 4 19:55:52 CDT 2005

Hello OREP WG members,

Ann and I would like to share with you a draft specification for a
WS-ReplicaCatalog interface. The intention is to define a WS-RF
interface for a Replica Catalog, similar in functionality to existing
replica catalogs (e.g., the RLS Local Replica Catalog service). As you
know, the earlier OREP specification treated replica information as
individual resources and was an extension of the WS-ServiceGroup
specification. While that approach lends itself to fine-grain
manipulation and inspection of replica location information, it lacks
the concept of "bulk" operations that are so important for scalability.
It is also more difficult to digest some of its concepts. In this new
specification, the interface should be conceptually similar to the
interface provided by existing replica catalog services (e.g., RLS LRC,
and others). We also expect that this interface will be complementary to
the earlier work on the OREP spec, though it does not depend on it in
any way.

If you find time to review it, we certainly would like to hear your
thoughts, suggestions, and comments.

Cheers,

rob