[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-authn-bof] Notes from Joint OGSA WG AuthN/AuthZ call

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 11:41:40 CDT 2007

Blair Dillaway wrote:
> I don't remember any serious discussion of chartering work in this
> area, either within the AuthZ WG or elsewhere. So I can only surmise
> people haven't felt this area is adequately mature. The sessions Von
> hosted on Grid-Shib technology at OGF's last year certainly indicated
> a diverse set of approaches were being explored.
>
> Did you and Von discuss this in drafting the current charter?

Not directly. We thought this was running before we could walk. We
wanted to get the base protocols defined first before starting on the
more complex ones.

Do you
> believe things have evolved to the point where we could build
> critical mass around work in this area? (Of course, I'd love to hear
> from anyone who thinks the OGF should be doing work in this area.)

The only way to find this out is to suck it and see. this could be an
item for the agenda of OGF21, or a polling of the maillist prior to that
(preferred approach).

regards

David

> Regards, Blair
>

> David Chadwick wrote:
>> Hi Blair
>>
>> Interestingly there is one aspect of authz that has a significant
>> amount of user interest and that is merging attributes from
>> Shibboleth and Grids to be used together for authz decision making.
>> But this is currently not within the scope of the OGF OGSA Authz
>> group's work plan. So what does this indicate?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> David

>> David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD Professor of Information Systems
>> Security The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury,
>> CT2 7NF Skype Name: davidwchadwick Tel: +44 1227 82 3221 Fax +44
>> 1227 762 811 Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184 Email:
>> D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk Home Page:
>> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/dwc8/index.html Research Web
>> site: http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/groups/iss/index.html
>> Entrust key validation string: MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J PGP Key ID is
>> 0xBC238DE5

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5