[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-authn-bof] Authentication in OGSA

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:27:28 CST 2007

Hi Marty

Marty Humphrey wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> First, I presume that "their Authz requirements" refers to the HPC Profile
> group, yes?

yes, correct

> If so, then I'll speak up. AuthZ is out of scope. AuthN *is* in scope.

Actually Authz cannot be out of scope of a true security profile,
otherwise anyone who was authenticated could do anything to any
resource. And clearly this is not allowed. So what you probably mean is
either that the Security Profile is not a security profile but rather an
Authn profile only, or authz is part of the security profile but is not
standardised and each system is free to implement its own authz
mechanism to control who can do what.

> Note that I am personally very supportive of the GFD.66 effort -- after all,
> my group is one of the few groups who have actually implemented it! (in our
> .NET code). I could see this GFD.66 coming into play as an Extension if the
> demand warrants it.
>
> Perhaps some of this more philosophical discussion should take place next
> week in North Carolina (OGF 19)? It's difficult to sufficiently explain
> oneself in email at times.

I agree. See you then

David

> -- Marty

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184