[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-BES-WG] Tracker Resolution Descriptions

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 7 20:03:32 CDT 2006

Hi;

This topic got discussed at today's BES conference call and the reasoning for having a GetAttributesDocument operation in the core BES interface was re-derived from the previous time(s) that the topic was discussed.  The argument goes like this:

*        Clients will want to retrieve some or all of the attributes that a BES exposes.  If GetAttributesDocument is in a separate "rendering" port type that composes with the BES-Factory and BES-Management port types then clients will need to determine which rendering port type is actually available from any given BES.

*        In order to determine which renderings a BES implements you have to query it.  That requires that there be some operation in the core client BES interface (i.e. BES-Factory) that will retrieve the attribute that describes which renderings are available by some means or another.  (I can't actually find an attribute in the spec that exports that information, by-the-way.)

*        If that operation just returns the attribute that describes which renderings are available then the normal case behavior for a client querying multiple BESes in order to see what state they are in (e.g. to decide which is most lightly loaded) will involve two message round trips: one to retrieve the rendering information and one to then retrieve the desired attributes.  That seems like a bad design from a software and systems engineering point-of-view.  One might argue that clients will be written to amortize the cost of the rendering query over multiple attribute retrievals, but that presumes a fairly heavy-weight client model that may not be appropriate in all cases.  Note also that BES service implementers will be implementing a retrieval operation of some sort that is rendering-independent in any case.  So from an implementation complexity point-of-view, they have to pay the development cost of implementing some sort of retrieval operation in the BES-Factory port type in any case.

*        The only way to make this common case into a single message exchange is to have a single rendering that is universally implemented.  Tom Maguire has pointed out that WS-ResourceTransfer has now been published and could be considered a candidate for such a universal rendering interface.  But using this rendering interface implies that BES implementers must implement ALL of that interface in order to be able to employ its Get operation.  Furthermore, they must do so in a manner that complies with the standard and its compliance requirements and tests (have those been published yet?).  So, in order to get a simple Get operation, a BES implementer must also implement Put and Create operations, whose semantics are potentially controversial (I haven't read the new spec to see how they deal with atomicity questions of creating/updating multiple properties) and, in general, a spec that is 30 pages long - 46 pages if you count the appendices.  That's arguably substantially more work than simply implementing a single GetAttributesDocument operation that is unencumbered by any other spec's requirements.

*        So, in order to enable BES clients to efficiently (i.e. using only a single message exchange) retrieve all the attributes of a BES without having to require BES service implementers to implement a non-trivially sized second spec, most of which is not necessary for BES, it was decided to include a GetAttributesDocument operation in the BES-Factory port type.

*        Inclusion of this operation makes the BES specification inherently resource model-free, but it does not preclude a BES from redundantly exporting its attribute information by means of other (composed) rendering port types, such as WSRF, WS-Transfer, or WS-ResourceTransfer as well.  This would allow clients that wish to exploit the reuse possibilities of such renderings to do so while imposing only a very minor additional service implementation burden for BES implementers - namely to implement the GetAttributesDocument operation instead of a GetRenderingAttribute operation.

Marvin.