[ogsa-wg] Proposal for re-organizing trackers

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Oct 20 22:27:49 CDT 2006

Here's what the latest proposal for the trackers looks like. (This is
already done for the Glossary tracker if anyone wants to have a look.)

1. One tracker per document; instead of archival+current as in the
original proposal

2. Use the 'Category' field to separate artifacts for different document
versions; instead of defining a new version tag field. The main reason
is that the Category field appears on the tracker summary view page so
allows easy filtering. (AFAIK it is not possible--by mere humans--to
change the tracker summary view to add new filter fields and using the
detailed search page is too complicated as the main mechanism for
narrowing views.)

For example, the Glossary tracker has "Version 1.0," "Version 1.5,"
"Next version." defined as categories.

3. The process remains similar. New artifacts go in as "Next version" or
the working version if one has been set; deferred artifacts from a
previous version are moved to the next version and to open.

The Glossary tracker has a three such artifacts.

4. Optionally use 'File releases' to associate artifacts with the
release (version) they were reported in, and the release in which they
were fixed. There is an automatic association between releases and two
tracker fields (reported in release; fixed in release) so release names
can be used without extra work.

For example, for the Glossary I have created two (empty) releases for
Glossary 1.0 and Glossary 1.5 and have associated Glossary artifacts to
the release in which they were reported and the one they were fixed.
(Some issues were reported in 1.0; deferred and fixed in 1.5)

Andreas