[ogsa-wg] Proposal for re-organizing trackers

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 3 08:42:54 CDT 2006

Andreas and Jem,

This sounds pretty good. I think I start with this approach in the
Technical Strategy document activity as well. I may come to you for
"how to create the version tag" question at some point.

On 3 Oct 2006, at 06:13, Andreas Savva wrote:

> I've been talking with Jem about re-organizing the trackers and we
> agreed on the following proposal. If you have any comments or
> suggestions please respond.
>
> Background:
> OGSA-WG maintains one tracker per document per version, for a current
> total of 12 document trackers. (The number of artifacts per tracker
> vary.) Half of these trackers are for already published documents:
> they
> are marked 'closed' and will not be used again. Since many of our
> documents are likely to be revised  again we'll have to set up more
> trackers. For example, work is already starting on a third version of
> the Glossary, the Roadmap is expected to be updated periodically
> and so on.
>
> Proposal:
> To keep the total number of trackers down and keep the tracker summary
> view usable the proposal is to re-organize the trackers so that each
> document has at most 2 trackers associated with it: an archival
> tracker
> and a current tracker.
>
> The archival tracker will hold artifacts of *all* past versions of
> that
> document. Artifacts will be tagged  with an appropriate "Document
> Version" value so that it is clear which version they relate to (e.g.,
> version 1.0, 1.5, etc). The current tracker will hold all new
> artifacts,
> including any artifacts that were deferred in previous versions.
>
> In terms of process, new artifacts will be put in the current tracker.
> When a document is published all closed artifacts from the current
> tracker are tagged with the document version and moved to the archival
> tracker; all deferred artifacts remain on the current tracker and are
> set back to the open state.
>
> Current tracker summary view:
> https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/tracker/do/listTrackers/
> projects.ogsa-wg/tracker
> --
> Andreas Savva
> Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd
>
> --

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE