[ogsa-wg] clarification on the OGSA Job Management capability

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Oct 13 16:27:54 CDT 2006

Dear OGSA-WG,

as part of the OMII-Europe project, I'm performing a decomposition of
the functionalities provided by a number of Grid middlewares related to
our project following the capabilities identified in the OGSA 1.5 document.

A problem I'm dealing with is about the Job Management service. For
instance, in the gLite middleware, there are two main categories of
services providing job management capability:

1. the Computing Element, that is an abstraction of a batch system
exposing an interface to let other services to submit and manage a job;
in the near future this component will adopt the OGSA-BES interface, but
at the moment it is present in different flavours (GT 2 GRAM, g-Lite CE
and CREAM)

2. the Workload Management System (WMS), that is a meta-scheduler and
exposes an interface to let other services to submit and manages a job
(or collection of jobs or DAGs); the WMS not only does Job Management,
but also Execution and Planning, and Candidate Set Generator.

My doubt is the following: from the viewpoint of Job Management, are a
meta-scheduler and a computing service semantically different or identical?

If they are identical, is it expected that in a medium future, the BES
interface could be extendend to support the number of job types handled
by a meta-scheduler, hence the meta-scheduler will expose the same
interface of a computing service?

If they are not identical, what are the differences?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Sergio Andreozzi

--
Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860