[ogsa-wg] Materials for tomorrows call

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 30 13:14:00 CST 2006

Andrew:

There is also the option of not doing anything: i.e., assume that people
will use many different systems (BPEL, certainly, but many others), and
just make sure that OGSA addresses what is needed for them to operate.

Ian.

Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
> Steven,
> I agree. If you look at the slide deck one of the "issues" is the large body
> of existing work - much of it very good; and much of it more complete than
> we would want to endorse (e.g., it comes complete with a GIU, security
> model, ....) There is the further complication of choosing an existing
> system - the political and market battles that might ensue. The question
> before us is - 1) adopt something existing, or 2) gather best practices and
> generate some sort of simple least common denominator a la JSDL, or 3) try
> and design by committee a complete package.
>
> I personally think (2) is the best choice :-). In any case there will need
> to be much examining of what is there as well as requirements generation
> (presumably from use cases.)
>
> By the way we were NOT proposing the XML stuff we sent as a "standard" -
> rather a sketch of the level of detail we might want to address.

   Ian Foster, Director, Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory & University of Chicago
Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: +1 630 252 4619.  Web: www.ci.uchicago.edu.
      Globus Alliance: www.globus.org.