[ogsa-wg] container model document for OGSA call Nov 2

Ellen Stokes stokese at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 2 17:12:49 CST 2006

Bob,
I'm not surprised there are inconsistencies...I got interrupted several
times doing the update and I didn't go back and review for consistency
before I posted it last night.
That said, on subclassing, it should read something like ' you may not
need to define subclasses...depends on whether the basic container class
captures all the semantics you want.  In the case of BES, it may make
sense to subclass if all semantics/operations that BES defines need to be
advertised and accessed.
I will be updating the doc for the F2F next week and will do my
consistency check (hopefully with no interruptions).
Ellen

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE at mitre.org>
11/02/2006 04:12 PM

Ellen Stokes/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
cc
<ogsa-wg at ogf.org>
Subject
RE: [ogsa-wg] container model document for OGSA call Nov 2

Hi Ellen,

The discussion of subclassing in the second paragraph of Sec. 2 is a
little unclear to me.  Toward the beginning it says "there is no need to
define subclasses of the Container class.", but later allows that [the BES
container] "may need to be defined as a subclass of the Container class to
capture all the needed semantics."

Did the first statement really mean something like "there is no need to
pre-define subclasses..." or "there is no need to define subclasses...at
this time"?

[Apologies if this next part is way off base...some time has passed since
I wrote the above and I don't have your document at hand at this time.]

It seemed to me that the MOF text was not in total agreement with the
UML...esp. wrt some of the method return values...?

Cheers,
BobN