[ogsa-wg] Webcast thoughts

Treadwell, Jem jem.treadwell at hp.com
Mon Mar 20 12:30:54 CST 2006

Hi Andrew, sorry for the delayed response... for anyone wondering what
this is about, we're proposing to do a public webcast about OGSA, in the
April timeframe, and will have more details once the logistics have
firmed up a little more.  HP will host.

I've been working on the slides as a background activity, so please
assume I have the pen at the moment.  I agree that they need augmenting
for this.

I think we can set our own expectations for the audience - we can say
who it's for when we advertise it.  As a starting point I assume we want
to pitch it in the middle - some background, but also some specifics on
the capabilities and where things fit.  Thoughts for an outline; some of
this is already in place, of course:

*
	Background to grid and GGF, including some history & definitions
*

	Where grid is being used now, importance in the commercial
world, and the future
*

	Transition to SOA & Web services - why, and what it means
*
	Standards - why they're important, a review of relevant
standards and SDOs, including latest news
*	Some specifics about OGSA: background, some info from the
Roadmap, and an explanation of profiles
*
	Details of the OGSA capabilities and closely-related work - an
intro diagram and a few slides on each - high-level intro, some detailed
examples, status of work - we need to agree how technical we want to
get, and try to keep all at the same level.  e.g.:

	*
		Infrastructure
	*
		Security
	*
		EMS
	*
		Data
	*
		Resource Mgmt
	*
		Info
	*
		CDDLM
	*
		Self mgmt
	*
		WS-Agreement
	*
		Naming
	*
		Any others?

BUT: we will have to be conscious of time: I've already listed too much
if capabilities average more than 3 minutes.  So this is probably overly
ambitious.

Although we talked earlier about a 2-hour slot, I now know it's actually
90 minutes.  [We'll have 30 minutes before the start for the presenters
to get online and do logistics.]  So the target for the presentation
should be one hour, with the remainder for Q&A.  Some time will be spent
on preliminaries, so Q&A will probably be down to 20 mins.  We probably
won't have time to do audience polls, other than maybe one at the end
while Q&A is in progress.
Here are a few other things we'll need to provide ahead of time:

*	Title of presentation (e.g. "Defining the Grid: An Overview of
OGSA")
*	Short abstract of session
*	Names of speaker(s)
*	Duration: Target one hour for presentation, 30 minutes for Q&A
*	Short bios for the speaker(s) -- two or three sentences each

- Jem

Jem Treadwell
Hewlett-Packard Company
6000 Irwin Road