[ogsa-wg] formatdb man page

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Wed Mar 15 17:31:54 CST 2006

Here is a link to the man page for formatdb.

http://bioinformatics.ubc.ca/resources/tools/?name=formatdb

The important options to note are the one to choose whether it's a protein
or a nucleotide database, and the other is to generate indices or not.

A typical invocation, given a protein database in FASTA format called
ecoli.aa that I want indices for, I run:

  formatdb -i ecoli.aa -p T -o T

and the resulting files will be generated:

  ecoli.aa.phr
  ecoli.aa.pin
  ecoli.aa.pnd
  ecoli.aa.pni
  ecoli.aa.psd
  ecoli.aa.psi
  ecoli.aa.psq

And in the blastall command I reference the database named 'ecoli.aa'.

By the way ... many people just deploy the generated files.

-- Chris