[ogsa-wg] Paper proposing "evolutionary vertical design efforts"

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 20 11:20:09 CST 2006

Dear All:

The most important thing to understand at this point (IMHO) is the scope of
this "HPC use case," as this will determine just how minimal we can be.

I get the impression that the principal goal may be "job submission to a
cluster." Is that correct? How do we start to circumscribe the scope more
explicitly?

Ian.

At 05:45 AM 2/16/2006 -0800, Marvin Theimer wrote:

>Enclosed is a paper that advocates an additional set of activities that
>the authors believe that the OGSA working groups should engage in.
>

>Broadly speaking, the OGSA and related working groups are already doing a
>bunch of important things:
>
>·         There is broad exploration of the big picture, including
>enumeration of use cases, taxonomy of areas, identification of research
>issues, etc.
>
>·         There is work going on in each of the horizontal areas that have
>been identified, such as EMS, data services, etc.
>
>·         There is working going around individual specifications, such as
>BES, JSDL, etc.
>

>Given that individual specifications are beginning to come to fruition,
>the authors believe it is time to also start defining vertical
>profilesthat precisely describe how groups of individual specifications
>should be employed to implement specific use cases in an interoperable
>manner.  The authors also believe that the process of defining these
>profiles offers an opportunity to close the design loopby relating the
>various on-going protocol and standards efforts back to the use cases in a
>very concrete manner.  This provides an end-to-end setting in which to
>identify holes and issues that might require additional protocols and/or
>(incremental) changes to existing protocols.  The paper introduces both
>the general notion of doing focused vertical design effortsand then
>focuses on a specific vertical design effort, namely a minimal HPC design.
>

>The paper derives a specific HPC design in a first principlesmanner since
>the authors believe that this increases the chances of identifying
>issues.  As a consequence, existing specifications and the activities of
>existing working groups are not mentioned and this paper is not an attempt
>to actually define a specifications profile.  Also, the absence of
>references to existing work is not meant to imply that such work is in any
>way irrelevant or inappropriate.  The paper should be viewed as a first
>abstract attempt to propose a new kind of activity within OGSA.  The
>expectation is that future open discussions and publications will explore
>the concrete details of such a proposal.
>

>This paper was recently sent to a few key individuals in order to get
>feedback from them before submitting it to the wider GGF
>community.  Unfortunately that process took longer than intended and some
>members of the community may have already seen a copy of the paper without
>knowing the context within it was written.  This email should hopefully
>dispel any misconceptions that may have occurred.
>

>For those people who will be around on for the F2F meetings on Friday,
>Marvin Theimer will be giving a talk on the contents of this paper at a
>time and place to be announced.
>

>Marvin Theimer, Savas Parastatidis, Tony Hey, Marty Humphrey, Geoffrey Fox

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org