[ogsa-wg] [update] OGSA Security Profile 1.0 - Secure Channel

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Dec 12 15:46:42 CST 2006

The text that is new in Section 3 has the same problem that Von Welch
(correctly) identified with the previous version:

 The document references the "Basic-Security-Profile"
 in section 3.2.1. I was confused at first as to whether this
 was the OGSA BSP or the WS-I BSP. I suggest this usage include
 the full title of the document being referenced.

Here's one example of the text that needs to be clarified:

" Note that while section 4.2 of the Basic Security Profile 1.0 mandates,
recommends, and discourages support for certain ciphersuites, the Basic
Security Profile 1.0 does not prohibit use of any specific ciphersuite.
While section 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 of the Profile prohibits certain
ciphersuites, the Profile does not prohibit use of any specific ciphersuite
other than those."

Instead of writing "Basic Security Profile 1.0", can't you write "WS-I Basic
Security Profile 1.0"? And instead of "Profile", can't you write "OGSA
Security Profile 1.0 - Secure Channel"? (If indeed this is what you mean).
And please change it in ALL places in the text, not just this single line.

More broadly, I'm not sure what makes THIS one (the "secure channel") *NOT*
a "BASIC Profile", while "core" is a "BASIC" profile. They're both optional
to OGSA services, so arguably "BASIC" should be removed from the title of
"core" as well. Stated differently, I question the logic of referring to
something that addresses the fringe concept of "key information binding to
an endpoint reference" as "BASIC" and referring to something that
essentially just talks about TLS/SSL as apparently *NOT* "BASIC".

-- Marty