[ogsa-wg] Re: GGF/OGSA standards for hierarchical namespaces

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Apr 5 14:12:02 CDT 2006

Chris's email forwarding.
----

Thanks to everyone for useful responses, and to both Manuel and Mark
for providing workable hierarchical, abstract naming schemes
("directory standards", in the context of this discussion), each with
valuable features. I'm writing this note as a preface to the
discussion of naming at the F2F meeting today, and as a response to
some of the points already made in this thread. I'll mostly just be
throwing out a few vaguely connected thoughts and pieces of
information to help advance the starting point for the discussion
today. As important as I feel it is for the community to quickly
agree upon a definite direction/core draft standard, it's also
crucial to get it right - we don't necessarily have to provide a
perfect solution the first time, but we do have to provide a solution
that can grow and change organically to fulfill new needs, as the
community creates them.

Just to update my previous e-mail regarding the options and
suggestions out there, I've spoken with Osamu Tatebe, and it appears
that the RNS item in my initial list of efforts and proposals is now
coincident with Dave Berry's post-GGF16 note suggesting that RNS be
re-factored into at least two separate standards. In this regard,
Osamu says "At the last GFS-WG session in GGF16, we agreed to
refactor RNS specs into (at least) three specs; RNS, iterator,
logical name resolver." It's not immediately clear to me what is
meant by "RNS" in this quote, but my guess would be that it refers to
the directory standard/service itself. My understanding is that
Manuel Pereira is currently working on this refactoring, and will
offer a draft to the GFS (and likely OGSA-Naming) working groups for
further discussion, once a workable draft is complete.

To clarify my own ulterior motives, my goal is to get the work on
naming and directory-related issues moved into the OGSA-Naming group,
even if it is the same set of players doing the work, so that the GFS-
WG can focus on the requirements for file systems within a "directory
and logical/abstract naming system" - for example, a GFS directory or
"file" entry should have properties such as size, support information
about the source storage resource and access mechanisms, replication
properties, the data's tier within an HSM, etc etc. I'm hoping that
we can all work together to create a set of directory naming and
resolution standard(s) that can support these needs, and I believe
that if we do, they will also support just about any other function
for which an abstract-name-based directory system is necessary.

 From the above paragraph, I think it should be clear that I believe
that it is a requirement to be the able to associate arbitrary
attributes/properties with entries in the directory structure. What I
envision here is a simple set of base standards, ideally to come out
of the OGSA-Naming group; one for hierarchically organized
collections of human-readable abstract names with arbitrary
properties attached, each of which resolves to an EPR, and one for an
iterator interface, where the items being iterated over are the
abstract names. Each standard utilizing hierarchical collections of
human-readable names, including the GFS-WG, would then define a
"profile" for use of the directory service, including requirements
for the properties which should be associated with a directory entry,
and any higher-level services which would ideally build upon the
"directory" standard I'm hoping to see.

I believe that the WS-Directory proposal, certainly in the v3
iteration Mark Morgan referred us to in an earlier e-mail, would
fulfill the requirements I have for hierarchically organized
collections of human-readable names, referring to EPRs and having
attributes associated with them. We still need, in my opinion, an
iterator interface standard to work in concert with these
"directories"; hopefully Manuel's work with refactoring RNS will
provide us with that.

I'll stop here, since I believe the F2F discussion of naming will
begin shortly. Thanks again to everyone for participating in this
discussion so far, and I look forward to continuing it both in the
F2F and through other channels.

On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Allen Luniewski wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the very thoughtful note!  A few comments.
>
> I agree with you that the current situation is, to put it mildly,
> not acceptable.  We need to move to a position where the community
> agrees on a single means for creating a hierarchy of pointers to
> resources (a directory structure in Unix-speak).  Clearly one
> aspect of this is that RNS and WS-Directory need to reconciled into
> a single proposal.   Resolution sooner rather than later is clearly
> in the best interests of the various WGs who depend upon
> directories (including OGSA Data which I share responsibility for).
>
> You mention a couple of specific technical issues.  A few comments
> on those:
>         1. I go back and forth on attributes in the directory
> system.  Since these are almost certainly cached from the
> resources, today I am inclined to say that
>                 attributes should not be part of the directory
> system.  Ask me tomorrow, and I may have the other answer :-)  But
> today, I would leave them out
>                 of the base specification for simplicity but
> consider an extension that included attributes if that were felt to
> be vital.
>         2. Dave Berry's suggestion to separate out the iterator
> component is a good one.  There are going to be many places in the
> overall grid standards
>                 effort where an iterator-like structure will be
> needed. Standardizing this seems like a proper goal for GGF.  If
> that is accepted then using it
>                 in a directory service seems quite natural.
>
> As for moving forward, I think that we need to see how this thread
> plays out.  My instincts, however, are that getting the interested
> parties in a room for a few hours would be the most effective way
> to drive this to an early resolution.
>
> Allen Luniewski
> IBM Information Management Division
> San Jose, California
>

> Christopher Jordan <ctjordan at sdsc.edu>
> Subject: GGF/OGSA standards for hierarchical namespaces

> All,
>
> Forgive the wide distribution on this e-mail, but this issue seems to
> be to be both extraordinarily important to the future of GGF/OGSA
> standards efforts and also in a state of either limbo or paralysis.
> The topic I'm addressing here, both in my capacity as the secretary
> of GFS-WG and as a generally interested participant on a few
> different GGF working groups, is the question of adopting a single,
> possibly minimal, standard for creating hierarchically organized
> collections of pointers (WS-Names? GSR/GSHs, to date myself?) to
> "resources", where the term "resource" could denote a service
> providing access to a collection of files, computational resources,
> or database records (that's a non-exclusive list), and where some
> items in the hierarchy could actually represent directory-like
> structures, i.e. containers for other collections of resources.
>
> The way I got involved in this discussion through the Grid File
> [...]

Chris Jordan
HPC Systems Engineer
High End Computing Systems Group
San Diego Supercomputer Center