[ogsa-wg] Once upon a time or two ...

Mark McKeown zzalsmm3 at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 08:32:01 CST 2005

Hi Dave,

snipped

> Another advantage of URIs is that publishers are permitted to use their
> structure to pass back server-specified information and clients are
> permitted to parse URIs to extract this information.  So an LSF system
> could include the job-id in a certain part of the URI and clients can
> extract it as necessary.  (Although one could argue whether that was any
> neater than adding a specific XML field).

WebArch[1] recommends that URIs should be opaque to the client - if
a resource provider encourages a client to reason about his URIs a
coupling is created between the client and the resource provider
- equivalent to one of Adam Bosworth's shared secrets[2].
The resource provider is tied to an approach to creating URIs
that may not be appropriate in the long term.

cheers
Mark

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/
[2] http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=337&page=1