[ogsa-wg] Once upon a time or two ...

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 04:09:33 CST 2005

There are many issues in this discussion that I don't understand , and
this seems a key one.  Perhaps the participants could read the following
and set me straight?

The W3C guidelines on the use of URIs (and hence, I presume, IRIs) is
that each resource should be identified by a different URI.  URIs can be
compared.  URIs should not be reused to refer to different resources.

I don't know whether these guidelines are adhered to in practice, but on
paper they seem to provide the uniqueness and comparison functionality
that we require.

The problem seems to be that WS-Addressing (or perhaps just some uses of
it, e.g. some implementations of WSRF) breaks this nice system, by using
the URI to name the access mechanism (the web service) rather than the
resource being addressed.  Frank has suggested on a couple of occasions
that we specify how a unique address can be reconstructed from the
wsa:to field and the parameters.  Given this step, I would assume that
the scenario that Frank considers here would not be permitted:

> > An EPR-minter can decide to create a new EPR for a resource and
reuse
> > an Address that was used for an other resource before.

So, I have many questions:

1. Is the above characterisation an accurate rendition of the W3C
position on URIs and IRIs?
2. Do we want stricter limits than the W3C?
3. Can we profile WS-A as Frank suggests?
4. If (3 and not(2)), does that satisfy our requirements?

Another advantage of URIs is that publishers are permitted to use their
structure to pass back server-specified information and clients are
permitted to parse URIs to extract this information.  So an LSF system
could include the job-id in a certain part of the URI and clients can
extract it as necessary.  (Although one could argue whether that was any
neater than adding a specific XML field).

Best wishes,

Dave.