[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Abstract names in BES

Subramaniam, Ravi ravi.subramaniam at intel.com
Wed Nov 9 22:36:38 CST 2005

Hi,

I am sorry I missed today's call (combination of a partial conflict and
the old habit of expecting the call at 3:00-5:00 Pacific). I may be
missing something that has already been covered. Apologies for any
redundant discussion.

I thought that BES is a focus on the container and not the jobs. It is a
job execution environment but the abstract names (if any) should be
generated before the request reaches the BES container since the job
factory is in the job manager or some such entity. I am not seeing the
connection between abstract names for jobs and BES. An abstract name for
a container makes sense in this context. In this case, a job id may not
be appropriate.

I would expect that abstract names have a form that is independent of
the type of resource or entity that is referred to by this abstract
name. The specific aspects that are determined by type would have to be
in the payload. As I was typing this, I saw Mike's email. I would agree
that something like a GUID would be appropriate. Alternatively a URI
that is parameterized in a domain/application manner may also work (this
may accommodate the job id requirement that Chris mentions below while
having a similar form for other resources/entities too). Abstract names
would be unique (as we all know) but I would expect have a validity
lifecycle attached to them (could be as simple as at Time to Live
possibly embedded in the name). I would not expect that these are for
ever persistent and available but may be driven by policy. Expecting
otherwise may put a big burden on the implementation.

Is the abstract name an optional or required in all cases (whether
embedded in the EPR or not i.e. resolved)? I would vote for it to be
optional since in some instances generating the name may not be
necessary. An example is an ephemeral job (i.e. < 15 - 30 sec for the
lifetime). We have many of these jobs in our environment and these are
the ones that really stress our schedulers in many of our production
pools. The effort to generate and assign and manage abstract name may
not be worth the overhead here. An EPR is all that we may have
(hopefully the simplest and really necessary parts in the EPR).

Thanks!

Ravi