[ogsa-wg] RE: One paragraph describing your expectations from the deployment component

Milojicic, Dejan S dejan.milojicic at hp.com
Wed Nov 9 15:44:50 CST 2005

Hi Andrew,

I presume we will have a chance to discuss this during the meeting
today, but here is my attempt in summarizing what CDDLM has discussed
this morning.

By definition, CDDLM is not primarily intended to support this
functionality. We think that some sort of information service should
provide this information. Having said that, CDDLM can still provide some
support in this direction (which is maybe 20% of what you need if not
less): a) CDL can capture dependencies of deployed components on certain
resources which can compared against what is supported on nodes
(information provided by other means) and used to decide if/where you
can deploy components, and b) CDDLM engines can return information on
what has been deployed on them (this is not something that we have
specified so far, but it naturally falls under CDDLM).

> > 2) Once a placement decision has been made then we must ensure that
> > the application/activity is ready to run on the selected container
> > resource. In the current JSDL model - all of the information is
> > carried in the executable information.
> > For more interesting, non-legacy, components latter, it is
> likely that
> > the mechanism in JSDL will not suffice. Thus, something like:
> > Deploy("name of application/component", "name of container
> resource")
> >
> > Where each of the "names" are either path names in a
> directory based
> > service or EPR's of some sort.

CDDLM is primarily focused on deliverying the functionality you have
described above. You can take a look at how we utilize it using our
deployment APIs, submission language, and component model. One should be
able easily to wrap up our functionality to accomplish the interfaces
and support requierment you outline in 2) above.

Thanks,

Dejan.