[ogsa-wg] RE: One paragraph describing your expectations from the deployment component

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:20:51 CST 2005

Dejan, et al,

There are two basic things that EMS needs (in my opinion):
1) The ability to identify on which hosts an activity can execute because
either the executable for the activity is installed - or CAN BE installed.
2) The ability to direct that the necessary components for an activity be
installed and configured in/on a container - whether that means binaries and
libraries, licenses, databases, whatever.

In both cases I do not want the activity started.

Let me dive a bit deeper into both:
1) The information needed to determine where an activity can execute -
either directly, or after some deployment step is needed by RSS so that it
can make scheduling decisions. While it is not sufficient information to
make scheduling decisions, it is necessary. (Other info could include load,
whether a particular user has privileges or the necessary currency, etc.)

2) Once a placement decision has been made then we must ensure that the
application/activity is ready to run on the selected container resource. In
the current JSDL model - all of the information is carried in the executable
information. For more interesting, non-legacy, components latter, it is
likely that the mechanism in JSDL will not suffice. Thus, something like:
Deploy("name of application/component", "name of container resource")

Where each of the "names" are either path names in a directory based service
or EPR's of some sort.

Andrew