[ogsa-wg] Re: Globus Alliance views on BES

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Wed Mar 9 11:56:26 CST 2005

Hi, Dave Berry was kind enough to point out that the terminology I
used and referenced in the earlier BES position documents are not to
be found in recent BES docs sent to the OGSA list by Steven. Sorry
about that; I guess I've been juggling too many drafts of things
floating around!

Google to the rescue:

http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/drmaa-wg/2005/02/doc00000.doc

In short:

  Actor : like a GRAM-launched job process
  Proxy Actor : like a GRAM job manager
  Container : the GRAM service that accepts jobs
  Annotations : meta-data, e.g. resource properties or external assertions?
  Application Instance Descriptor : job description, e.g. RSL
  Application Descriptor : something more abstract ;-)

I think the spirit of that doc is good for this current discussion, in
trying to sidestep some of these loaded terms such as "job".  Not to
say that the final rendered interfaces should persist in using such
abstract names...

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski