[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Thu Mar 3 17:14:51 CST 2005

Tony's email bounced.

Tony: You can read whole mail threads triggered by your article at;
http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/ogsa-wg/2005/02/threads.html
http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/ogsa-wg/2005/03/threads.html

There are more opinions than you've already read.

Subject: RE: [ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging  Times for
GGF & Standards'
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:37:06 -0000
From: "Tony Hey" <Tony.Hey at epsrc.ac.uk>

 Dear OGSA WG members and others,

I am interested by this debate (obviously) but fear that
 I did not get my essential point across. Let me try once more - sinc
e I think this is a crucial decision point for the whole GGF and Cyberinfr
astructure
effort.

First, to reassure Dave Snelling and others, I am NOT
trying to endorse 'proprietary' proposals such as WS-Transfer from Microsoft;
nor am I trying to impede the progress of WSRF etc through OASIS.
 IBM and others have indeed acted as I had urged and submitted their p
roposals to a
recognized standards body.

Second, the point is not about whether one can implement
 WSRF in .Net technologies. I respect the work of Marty Humphrey and h
is team but this also is not the point at issue.

The point is not about how well the WS-RF and WS-Trans
fer stacks compare but rather whether it is always appropriate to use the
"messages are directed at single resources" approach? Many people, includi
ng people whose technical judgement I respect such as Tony Storey,
Ian Foster, Dave Snelling and others, apparently believe that the answ
er to this question is "everywhere: it is the foundation for all op
erations on all services". It is therefore not surprising that this group
do not see the need to worry about the question "is it a good idea
to build architecture around the idea of sending messages to single
 resources?"

In fact, although I am clearly not an implementor, I t
hink that this is not a closed issue. People whose technical judgement I a
lso respect - such as Jim Gray, Pat Helland and Andy Herbert (yes, a
ll from Microsoft but wait for the supporting cast) - believe that this
is not a good way to build robust wide area, inter enterprise distributed sy
stems. I understand why opinions from 'Microsoft' may be viewed wit
h suspicion but in this case I think their views are deeply held
matters of principle. Andy Herbert, for example, is from Microsoft Re
search and spent a long time trying to make distributed systems lik
e CORBA work. He came to the conclusion that while CORBA was just fine
for local area networks it encouraged a style of programming for wide a
rea networks that led to such implementations being 'brittle'. Thus I
believe that they think that while something like WSRF may be fine
for use within corporate computing centers behind corporate firewalls, this
approach to building distributed systems will not lead to robust wide
area implementations. (I hope Andy and the others cited will
either support
or correct my interpretation of their views.)

So I think this is not a small matter of WSRF versus
 WS-Transfer. This view is supported by others in the distributed computing
community - not only people like Paul Watson, Savas Parastatidis and Jim
Webber, but also professional database people like Dave Pearson from O
racle who I believe has concerns that in an inter enterprise computing
 context, many companies will not wish to expose details of their datab
ases to open
scrutiny.

   What changed for me recently was the realisation
after months of trying to persuade Microsoft to engage with GGF/OGSA/WSRF
that this issue was actually a matter of principle and that there
was no prospect of Microsoft being able to join the WSRF bandwagon or
of their 'morphing' their ideas to be compatible. This being the
case - and it was confirmed for me by the OGSA-UK meeting I referred
to - and recognizing that the non-WSRF folks might, just might, be
proved correct in the long run, at least for certain types of e-Scien
ce applications, then for GGF to tie its 'flagship' OGSA to this approa
ch to resources by mandating the WSRF route would be to take an unnecessary
 high risk with our user community. Such a route would also be highly
likely to effectively exclude Microsoft from GGF and hinder their pl
aying any positive role in GGF, Grids and Cyberinfrastructure.

In addition, speaking as someone with responsibility for t
he UK e-Science applications people, I can state categorically tha
t they are not interested in religious debates about how the distribu
ted systems they rely on have been implemented. They just want the
underlying distributed middleware to work and for GGF to concentrate
on delivering timely and high level standards that will assist them in
 constructing their interoperable Cyberinfrastructure. They absolutely do no
t want to be forced to choose between an 'IBM' camp and a 'Micro
soft' camp - they just want a standard on which they can build higher le
vel standards and APIs. They want to be insulated from any low-level dispu
tes about how to
fix the plumbing.

So that's it folks. I believe it really is a crucial
time for GGF to show that it is really an open standards body dedicated
to delivering useful standards for users - rather than backing one bra
nch of a religious debate right down at the plumbing level that i
ts user community does not want to know about. However, is it
possible to define OGSA in such a way that it does not mandate the WSRF
 approach to resources? Well I have talked with Andrew Grimshaw and o
thers and Andrew believes that this might indeed be possible. I would the
refore ask you to be open-minded and assist such an investigation.

Obviously the first implementations of OGSA will be WSRF
based and I expect many UK projects will be very happy to adopt WS
RF, GT4 and a WSRF version of OGSA-DAI. What about a non-WSRF implementation?
All I know is that Paul, Savas and Jim investigated alternative, non-WSRF
ways of providing OGSA-like functionality in a small UK project -
but I suspect that the final word has not yet been said on how to
provide such
implementations.

I do not want to de-rail WSRF - as I said it will
certainly be adopted by many UK projects. I just want GGF/OGSA to leave the
 door open - so that if it does turn out that the WSRF way is not
so good for inter enterprise applications - then GGF and OGSA are not made
 obsolete. Ian often asks me why the UK are so keen on Web Services
. I used to reply that Web Services were significant only because Microsoft
and IBM had agreed to agree - the Men In Black philosophy. Following
 this philosophy it is surely self-evident that GGF, Grids and the whole
Cyberinfrastructure agenda would be much, much stronger if
both Microsoft and IBM were engaged. This is why giving some
space between OGSA and specific implementations using WSRF is so importa
nt.

I should end by noting that these are my own opinions.
 Furthermore, the people I have explicitly cited may or may not agree wi
th the opinions I
have attributed to them.

I hope at least that my views and intentions are now
clear.

Tony

-----Original Message----- From: Frank Siebenlist [mailto:franks at mcs.anl.gov]