[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 3 10:51:41 CST 2005

Andy:

One thing that would really help, I think, is for someone on "the other
side" to explain what it is that they want to do that GGF/OGSA WG is
preventing them from doing. I understand it must be something important,
but think that there is genuine lack of understanding within GGF/OGSA WG as
to what it is. A set of application scenarios would really help.

A second thing that would be helpful would be a crisp characterization of
what "the other side" wants to see GGF/OGSA WG do instead. Should we allow
for the use of WS-Transfer as an alternative way of interacting with
stateful resources? Or that we should allow for EPR + context-id as an
alternative way of interacting with state? Or both? Or something else?
Again, this hasn't been made clear: the only explicit communication we've
received is that "we shouldn't use WSRF," which isn't a very satisfying answer.

Clarity on these two issues would really help I think.

A couple of other minor points:

* I don't see the fact that people build Grid applications and systems in
different ways as a reason not to work towards interoperability. Yes,
people have built nice Grid-like systems with custom protocols, with JINI,
with Web services, with CORBA, with DCOM, etc. But these systems don't
interoperate, and interoperability is important in some situations.

* I said management applications were "a primary focus" of OGSA, not "THE
primary focus."

Regards -- Ian.