[ogsa-wg] Profile definition v13

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 23 11:18:46 CDT 2005

It is unclear to me after reading through the threads what is the license
issue.

Tom

Frey’s Law: “Every 5 years the number of architecture components double and
the ability to comprehend them halves”

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.   – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

T o m   M a g u i r e

STSM, On Demand Architecture

Poughkeepsie, NY  12601

             Steve Loughran
             <steve_loughran at h
             pl.hp.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  ogsa-wg <ogsa-wg at gridforum.org>
             owner-ogsa-wg at ggf                                          cc
             .org                      davanum at gmail.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ogsa-wg] Profile definition
             06/23/2005 08:23          v13
             AM

Andreas Savva wrote:
> I've uploaded v13 of the Profile definition. This includes a lot of
> edits from Jem and from the review done in the last (yesterday) call.

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-wg/document/draft-ggf-ogsa-profile-definition/en/13

One little troublespot with the profile is that unless IBM and Microsoft
are willing to adapt their IPR licensing policy for WSSecurity, there
may shortly not be any functional open source WS-Security implementations

the summary of the current state is:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=111894292828449&w=2

and the licenses in question are

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/standards/
http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml

Unless these two vendors come to an amenable position, there isn't going
to be an apache implementation (and that includes an end to WSS4J),
which is going to prevent it from entering the 'community' section, or
being broadly used.

Now, who was planning on using WSS4J in their products?

-steve