[ogsa-wg] Any additions to "example projects" section in OGSA Roadmap?

Rajkumar Buyya raj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jun 15 23:17:24 CDT 2005

Hi Hiro:

I have updated writeup and explicitly mentioned about what kind of interfaces we
are using and what kind of end-user interfaces we support. How does the updated
stuff below sounds?
The Gridbus Project at the University of Melbourne is one of the major OSS
projects focused on the design and development of service-oriented, utility
computing grid technologies. The Gridbus project has designed and implemented
open source version of Grid Service Broker, Grid Workflow Management system,
GridBank (Grid Authorisation, Authentication, and Accounting Services),
SLA-based Allocation of Grid Resources, and .NET-based Enterprise Grid manager.
All of these technologies support or committed towards providing a standard
compliant (both GGF Grid and W3C Web Services standards) interfaces for
application developers. Gridbus makes use of WSRF compliant technologies in its
development of advanced Grid services. Gridbus contributes to and provides
reference implementations of Grid Service Broker (GSB) with interfaces
confirming to Job Submission Description Language (JSDL) and Portlets standard,
GridBank database confirming to Resource Usage Record (RUR) and access
interfaces confirming to WSRF, Workflow management system interface confirming
to Web Services Business Process Execution Language (WSBPEL).

Timeline for release of GGF/W3C/OASIS compilant services/components:
    - Grid Service Broker - by Aug/Sept 2005.
    - Grid Bank - by Aug/Sept 2005.
    - Workflow management system - Oct 2005
    - WSRF based Access Interface for .NET Enterprise Grid (Alchemi) - Nov 2005
-------
If we finish implementation early, we will let you know.

Cheers
Raj

Hiro Kishimoto wrote:

> Thanks Bajkumar for Gridbus information,
>
> We really appreciate your input about your OSS project.
>
> However, since this document is "OGSA roadmap document," we need to
> know
> - Specify which OGSA specifications or profiles you will use
> - When you will implement them
>
> Since we don't need commitment, please let us know your current plan.
>
> Thanks again,
> ----
> Hiro Kishimoto
>
> Rajkumar Buyya wrote:
>
>> Hi Jem:
>>
>> Here is a text from our Gridbus Project for inclusion in Roadmap:
>>
>> The Gridbus Project at the University of Melbourne is one of the major
>> OSS projects focused on the design and development of
>> service-oriented, utility computing grid technologies. The Gridbus
>> project has designed and implemented open source version of Grid
>> Service Broker, Grid Workflow Management system, GridBank (Grid
>> Authorisation, Authentication, and Accounting Services), SLA-based
>> Allocation of Grid Resources, and .NET-based Enterprise Grid manager.
>> All of these technologies support or committed towards providing a
>> standard compliant (both GGF Grid and W3C Web Services standards)
>> interfaces for application developers. We are using and promoting the
>> use of standard compliant technologies in the development of various
>> e-Science applications in Australia and internationally.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Raj
>>
>> Treadwell, Jem wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Section 8 of the OGSA Roadmap document describes some open-source
>>> projects that are working with OGSA concepts and specifications, and
>>> by doing so are contributing to the OGSA effort.  The current text of
>>> the section is below.  If anyone would like to add a few lines about
>>> any other project, please pass them on to me before the end of this
>>> week.  We plan to do final review of the document on Monday next
>>> week, so please don't delay if you want to get something to me.
>>> Please keep your submission fairly short and in line with the style
>>> of what you see below, and be specific about what is being implemented.
>>>
>>> Also note that although the section is currently entitled
>>> "Open-Source Software Projects" commercial projects or other
>>> non-open-source projects can be included, provided they fit the
>>> criteria of contributing to the development of OGSA.  We'll change
>>> the section heading if appropriate.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> - Jem
>>>

>>> *Open-Source Software Projects*
>>>
>>> OGSA is expected to be implemented by multiple open-source software
>>> (OSS) projects and commercial software vendors. OSS projects such as
>>> Globus, the Business Grid Computing Project, the NextGrid Project,
>>> the NAREGI Project, University of Virginia Global Bio Grid, UK
>>> e-Science, and others will contribute.

> [...]

Dr. Rajkumar Buyya
Senior Lecturer and StorageTek (USA) Fellow of Grid Computing
Grid Computing and Distributed Systems (GRIDS) Lab: http://gridbus.org
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering
The University of Melbourne
ICT Building, 111, Barry Street,
Carlton, Melbourne, VIC 3053, Australia
Phone: +61-3-8344 1344 (office); +61-3-9569 8004 (home)
Fax: +61-3-9348 1184; eFax: +1-413-845-2525
Email: rajkumar at buyya.com | raj at cs.mu.oz.au