Should the referenced specs be updated? (Re: [ogsa-wg] Teleconference minutes - 8 June 2005)

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Jun 13 14:19:10 CDT 2005

Hi Tom and Dave,

I took a homework assignment of farther study on if we should update
referenced spec in BP 1.0 or not.

After due consideration with Andreas, We arrive at a conclusion.
Well, our short answer is "yes, OGSA-WG should."

Here is our long answer.

(1) We believe that our current definition of "emerging institutional
standard (EIS)" needs some work. The main distinction at the moment is
that "a specification of this status type must have an externally stable
reference to the specification." But to some extent this is already a
requirement of all specifications referenced by a profile (section 3.1).

The main distinction should be instead on whether there is a draft that
has been approved as a 'stable draft' by some process of that standards
organization; including satisfying the intellectual property
considerations of that standards body. (For example, it would be
inappropriate for an EIS to refer to a "Draft specification" with
unclear IPR.)

So, for example, an OASIS committee draft (CD) would be a EIS. (But a WD
 would not.) So would a GGF Grid Working Draft (GWD-R.P), since it has
been approved as a draft by the GFSG.

A problem with the above definition is that a GGF WG draft that has not
been submitted to the GGF Editor has no suitable status. At this moment,
we have plenty of such documents, e.g. OGSA WSRF BP 1.0, JSDL 1.0, and
RNS 1.0.

So we'd also propose adding a new "status type" something like "draft
institutional standard." Otherwise, we cannot include the above
mentioned draft specs in the OGSA Roadmap tables.

(2) We should add one more restriction to "recommendation profile
as proposed recommendation." The additional restriction would highlight
that the set of specifications in a profile should be consistent.
In other words, if a specification is referenced directly or
indirectly (transitively) by different specifications in a profile then
the same version should be referenced.

Please have a look to modifications proposal to profile definition
attached to this email.

(3) Let's assess the OGSA WSRF BP 1.0 referring specs and profiles based
on the above two criteria.

Currently the WSRF BP 1.0 refers to
a) WS-Addressing (2004-08-10)
b) WSRF 1.2 working drafts
c) WSN 1.2 working drafts
d) WS-I BP 1.1 and BSP 1.0

(a), (b), and (c) run into problems with criteria (1) and (2). For
example, the WS-Addressing reference fails criterium (1) (intellectual
property considerations since it refers to ws-policy). WSRF 1.2 refers
to a newer version of WS-Addressing so it causes an inconsistent set of
references.  (The referenced WSRF 1.2 version is also a working draft
not a committee draft.)

For (a) and (b) new versions that satisfy the proposed criteria exist.
But an appropriate draft for (c) is not available yet. (WSN spec series
1.2 refer to WS-addressing member submission dated 2004-08.)

So we should update the WSRF BP 1.0 to the following versions before
submission:

- WS-addressing 1.0, 2005-03-31.
- WSRF spec series 1.2 committee draft
- WSN spec series 1.3 committee draft (not available yet)
- WS-I BP 1.1 and BSP 1.0

Good news is WSN-TC will move 1.3 to CD early July. We only need to wait
for one or two weeks and then finalize our WSRF BP 1.0.