Resilient References? (Re: [ogsa-wg] ogsa London f2f minutes uploaded)

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 4 18:10:47 CDT 2005

Sorry Hiro, there must be a misunderstanding as I certainly do not want
to prohibit a parameter for a resolution service as that will cater to a
different set of use cases.

The RR-EPR can only be used in those use cases where the EPR
creator/minter knows where it will update the resource's EPR in the case
of changes. This allows the EPR-minter to create a resource-specific
RR-EPR that points at a state element behind a resolver service that
will hold the application's EPR.

However, in those cases where the EPR is created without the knowledge
where the updated EPR will be stored exactly, then a generic resolver
has to be used that has to be passed something-from or the-whole EPR as
a parameter.

As far as I can tell, most EPR creators will normally know that they
will have to cater for EPR changes, will know the resolver service that
they will use to maintain the updated EPR, will therefor be able to
create a RR-EPR, and will therefor be able to hide from the consumers of
the EPR what name, what naming scheme or what convention is used for the
RR=>EPR resolution.

So by having a Resilient Reference spec, we should be able to cater for
the great majority of use cases where resource reference stability is an
issue.

-Frank.

PS. In the good old days when all was simple, we had OGSI, GSHs and GSRs
and life was good ;-) Conceptually, a GSH is a "name", a GSR is an EPR,
and OGSI was very GSH/name centric: you always had a GSH, if you were
lucky you had a GSH and a GSR, if you were a little less lucky you had a
GSH and a resolver-GSR, and if you were out of luck you just had a GSH.
In other words, you always had the standardized "name" already and
therefor the resolver could be a generic service that expected the
name=GSH as a parameter; there was no need for a RR-GSR to hide the use
of the name/naming-scheme/convention.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory