[ogsa-wg] SetResourceProperty and WSDM

Fred Maciel fred-m at crl.hitachi.co.jp
Thu Jan 27 18:22:25 CST 2005

Hi,

> Should make WSDM aware about the 'set resource property' issue.
> (Provided wants WSDM to be 'aligned' with the OGSA profile.)
> Fred is the OGSA-WSDM liaison.

I raised the issue at the WSDM teleconference earlier today.

First of all, from the MUWS part 2 spec:

"Specifically, the interface MUST include the GetResourceProperty
operation defined by [WS-RP] and MAY include the GetMultipleProperties,
SetResourceProperties and QueryResourceProperties operations."

So, SetResourceProperties is not mandatory in WSDM. In the configuration
capability, it says that:

"WS- ResourceProperties SetResourceProperty operation MAY be used to change
a configuration value."

Again, not mandatory.

So, whether SetResourceProperties is a MUST or not will depend on the
specific mapping from MUWS to a given domain. And in the teleconference I
was given a very good example, which is CIM. It is quite natural to do setup
on resources (configure, control, etc.) using SetResourceProperties (that
would be functionality similar to SetProperty, ModifyInstance, etc. in
WBEM). This single operaton should be enough. Conversely, if we don't use
it, we will need a *zillion* different operations (one for each and every
property in every class of the model?), which will be a pain.

So, no problems for now, but we (OGSA and WSDM) will definitely need to keep
in sync. And I'd say that their input above is valuable.

Regards,

Fred Maciel.

P.S. - For the WBEM operations, see:
http://www.wbemsolutions.com/tutorials/CIM/wbem-operations.html