[ogsa-wg] FW: Issue #1 proposed resolution

Savas Parastatidis Savas.Parastatidis at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 18:53:36 CST 2005

Dear all,

I agree with some of what Steve said bellow :-))

The change does make a difference in implementations because if the
information that was meant to be included in the Reference Properties is
now encoded in the Address property of an EPR (the URI) it cannot be
echoed back as SOAP headers. This was part of the semantics of Reference
Properties.

For a resource-oriented specification like WSRF, however, using URIs to
identify resources is a good solution. On this I agree with Steve. The
semantics of WSRF do not have to change even if it wasn't abstracted
away from WS-Addressing. What is lost is the ability to echo back as
SOAP headers any resource-specific information that may be required by a
SOAP intermediary to identify the targeted resource. If having SOAP
headers is a requirement, though, I don't see why Reference Parameters
couldn't be used.

So, while Reference Properties have been removed, Reference Parameters
are still there and while I would personally like to see them go too, I
don't think it'll happen. The semantics of Reference Parameters are
slightly different but I don't see why WSRF couldn't use them, if it
needed to, instead of Reference Properties to carry resource-specific
information.

Best regards,
--
Savas Parastatidis