[ogsa-wg] RE: GRIDtoday Edition: Tony Hey: 'Challenging Times for GGF & Standards'

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 28 22:14:15 CST 2005

Dennis:

I'm not sure that the "we don't need WSRF" is the heart of the debate. If
it was, then I think things are fairly clear: WSRF is just some conventions
for the messages that you send to do certain things (e.g.,
getResourceProperty to get state, Terminate to destroy something, or
whatever the names are) in a WS context. If you don't have those
conventions, then everyone ends up defining their own, so that e.g. a job
management interface might have "getJobStatus" and "destroyJob", a file
transfer interface might have "getTransferStatus" and "destroyTransfer".
This lack of consistency just makes life difficult, without providing any
benefits.

The debate with MS, as I understand it, seems to rather relate to the fact
that they are promoting a *different* set of conventions for doing similar
things, e.g., WS-Transfer instead of WS-ResourceProperties.

Ian.

At 10:23 PM 2/28/2005 -0500, Dennis Gannon wrote:
>hi Sam,
>i don't think MS has any orchestrated view on WSRF at all (but i may
>be wrong.)  I think it is more the case that there are people working on
>grid standards (outside of microsoft) that feel that what exists in the
>ws-spec world is sufficient. hence if there is any onus, it is on those
>folks to show us that this is true.  what tony is saying is that users,
>i.e. application builders, should not have to deal with these details. The
>should see clearly defined OGSA services and they should have an easy
>to understand set of interaction patterns to use these services to build
>thier applications.  the OGSA point of view is that to be precise in
>the definition of these behavior patterns requires a framework like wsrf.
>
>i actually feel that these things can all coexist.  but from the politics
>of "what is simple", we seem to live in interesting times.
>
>dennis
>
>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Samuel Meder wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 14:38 -0800, Frank Siebenlist wrote:
> > > Could anyone summarize MS' WS-view, and how it differs from WSRF?
> >
> > So far I have not seen any substantial difference between the two
> > approaches and I definitely believe the onus is on MS to show why people
> > should adopt their proprietary specifications vs. adopting something
> > that is being developed in a open standards body, is getting very close
> > to a 1.0 version and has multiple implementations behind it.
> >
> > /Sam
> >

> > > Thanks, Frank.

> > GGF
> > > >>

> > --
> > Sam Meder <meder at mcs.anl.gov>
> > The Globus Alliance - University of Chicago
> > 630-252-1752

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org