[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-wg | Basic Profile - 1231] ENDPOINTREFERENCE resilientReference element definition

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 14 14:33:14 CST 2005

It's good to see those renewable/resilient/stable reference elements
back in focus.

I believe there are two use cases that could be considered:

1. A resolver service has been identified but has not been used yet to
register. The idea is that a service may only have to register an EPR
with the resolver service after there is a need for it, like when the
resource is rebound to a new endpoint. The registration is not needed
before that time. So, a "stateless" service where we would pass the old
EPR and would get a new EPR.

2. A resolving resource has been registered with the resolver service,
and the most current EPR for our resource can be retrieved directly from
the resolver. So, an EPR to a "statefull" webservice resource that would
hold the new EPR.

The two cases would have resolver-EPRs of different porttypes associated
with them:

The first one would have an EPR pointing at a resolver service that
would expect a input message parameter that would identify the resource,
and would return that resource's most current EPR (or fail if nothing
has been registered yet).

The second porttype wouldn't need an inputmessage parameter as the
resource identifier will be embedded "somehow" in the resolver's
resource EPR, and would return the most current EPR.

Note that any "new" EPR returned from a stateless resolver could/should
be an EPR to a resolver-resource.

What is unclear is the parameter-value that should be used to identify
the resource. Can that simply be the address value now that the resource
references are ousted?

Regards, Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory