[ogsa-wg] Teleconference minutes - 2 November 2005

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 17:43:13 CST 2005

Original posting:
http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/ogsa-wg/2005/11/msg00006.html

> A more accurate answer would be that "Globus has lots of different
> selectors", in that given the building blocks provided by MDS and GRAM,
> one can build many different strategies (as was our intention), and
> indeed people do just that .

No disagreement with your comments. As you note there are plenty of ways
that the GRAM service can be used as part of a brokering infrastructure
- but AFAIK GRAM itself does not do scheduling internally. In the
context of the discussion during the call (which may not have come
across in the notes) we where examining the interactions between
services where the decision had already been made as to which service to
use.

We have other scenarios - coming soon - that will include the selection
element.

> I need to see more details on what is being proposed in terms of a
> selector interface, but I would be concerned if there was an attempt to
> incorporate this as a primitive. As the brief and far-from-comprehensive
> list above shows, there are many different resource selection strategies
> that may be applied, and these strategies may be applied in many
> different ways and in different places.

A selector interface is being defined as part of the RSS activities
(https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-rss-wg/) . They may have a
comment to make on the nature of the interface they are considering -
and how it could/could not encompass these services.

Regards,

Steven

Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK